A simple way to send objects and texture sets from Maya to Unity.
You need at least FBX 2020 version (Maya 2019).
- Create your asset (modeling, texturing etc.)
- In Maya use the aiStandardSurface shader and connect the textures
(Use the bump2d node for Normal maps.)
- Export the object as FBX.
Make sure the the Embed Media option is turned on!
An FBX can contain aiStandardSruface shaders and the basic File node connections.
Fortunately Unity have a dedicated ArnoldStandardSurface shader type and also a special process to create the correct shader and connections when necessary. 🙂
- In Unity, import the FBX (drag and drop or export directly into your asset folder).
- Select the imported asset than select the Material tab on the Inspector panel.
- Set the Material Creation Mode to Import via MaterialDescription
- Set the Location to Use Embedded Materials
- Press the Extract Textures button (set the folder)
- Press the Extract Materials button (set the folder)
- Turn off the sRGB (Color Texture) option for all but the Albedo (base color) texture, press apply.
- If you don’t need transparent shader, select the generated material and set the Surface Type to Opaque.
When using the transparent surface type you might have to change a few things (Depth Test mode, Double-Sided switcher etc.).